2011 was a poor year for my backyard vineyard. Cathy and I were able to harvest only a third of the amount of grapes we got last year.
This year we decided to try something a little different. Because of the equipment I have I wanted to try a whole cluster fermentaion.
I have an antique crusher with a wooden hopper. I adjusted the crusher for the most separation possible to keep the grapes mostly whole. Last year I used a milk crate as a destemmer, it was alot of work and my least favorite part of the job. I also have a basket press. This year I’ll press the stems with the must and make easy work of it.
We’ll have to wait and see if the stems leave any off taste in the wine. I’ll let the club members be the judge of that at a meeting next year.